Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Collected Quotes

I'm on a quote collecting spree. Some new; some old--

I assure you: there is no beginning, and we are not afraid; we aren't sentimental. We are like a raging wind that rips up the clothes of clouds and prayers.
-Tristan Tzara

But there came a time when I could not protect myself, and indeed I did not wish to protect myself, from the onslaught of reality.
-Hitch

Ālīs volat propriīs.
(She flies with her own wings.)
-Hon. Jesse Quinn Thornton

Dance, when you're broken open
Dance, if you've torn the bandage off
Dance in the middle of the fighting
Dance in your blood
-Rumi

Die Stimme der Vernunft ist leise.
(The voice of reason isn´t loud.)
-Friedrich Nietzsche

mon petit vulcan
you're eruptions and disasters
I keep calm
admiring the lava : I keep calm
-Bjork, "Possibly Maybe"

Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will.
-Frederick Douglass, 1857

O shaken flowers, o shimmering trees,
O sunlit white & blue,
Wound me, that I, through endless sleep,
May bear the scar of you.
-Teasdale

I love luxury, but freedom and independence better.
-Louisa May Alcott

One good thing about music,
when it hits you, you feel no pain.
-Bob Marley

SA TA NA MA
(roughly: Birth, Life, Death, Rebirth;
alternatively, "Sat Nam": To honor truth)
-Kirtin Kriya

Tolerance of intolerance is cowardice.
-Ayaan Hirsi Ali

He learned incessantly from the river. Above all, it taught him how to listen, to listen with a silent heart, with a waiting, open soul, without passion, without desire, without judgement, without opinion.
-Herman Hesse, "Siddhartha"

FREEING THE MIND IS NOT THE POINT
Love's arms around death is the point
-K. Curtis Lyle