Sunday, April 4, 2010

Springtime Blues

Recently, I watched the White Stripes documentary, Under Great White Northern Lights.  Most fans know that this is a two piece band who infamously represented themselves as siblings, although, they were a married couple at the time of their introduction (they've since been divorced).  The film closes with a scene that took place following their band's tenth anniversary celebration.  It exquisitely depicts Meg and Jack White sitting together at a private bench while Jack plays the melancholic "White Moon" on a gorgeous grand piano--



As Jack sings, "easy come easy go - be the star of a show - I'm giving up all I know to get more," Meg begins to cry.  Tears stream down her face, while Jack serenades her with what seems to be a song about insurmountable loss and his coming to terms with the ending of their relationship. 
Good lord, good lord...
the one I adored
and I can not afford, is a ghost
She's a ghost
I felt tears on my own face as I watched this spectacle.  The White Stripes are one of the few bands that Kenny and I both thoroughly enjoyed.  I remember listening to Elephant and drinking with him on his porch oh so many spring nights ago.  The perfectly cool air on our faces, grasping hands, sharing something magniloquently indescribable.  It appeared that the White's situation paralleled our own - with regard to feeling tremendously for a person, but knowing that the relationship will never be truly sustainable.  
Blink, blink at me Rita
Don't you know I'm a bleeder?
And I promised I wouldn't lead her on
Jack, who is typically so filled with self-assured bravado, seemed overcome with emotion as he stole glimpses at his weeping ex-wife.  He stumbled in his playing and the lyrics caught in his throat.  Abruptly he stopped short and starred off into space for a moment, as Meg broke down next to him.  Ultimately, he put his arm around her and kissed her hair tenderly. 
And my nose keeps on bleeding
'Cause it's Rita I'm needing
Unadvisedly, after watching this scene, I called Kenny.  I conveyed to him, still tearful, this feeling of our springtimes before.  Shortly thereafter, he was knocking at my front door.
It's the truth and it don't make a noise.