Sunday, January 10, 2010

Feels Like a Reemergence

It has taken me an awful long time this year to recover from the holidays and to adapt to the dark days and cold weather, but I've finally begun to acclimate myself to the new year. I still don't have much to write about, but I figured I'd at least attempt to provide you all with an update. So, here goes.

In the past week, I've returned to yoga and to the gym--both very positive developments for my mental and physical health. As I'm no longer in dire financial straits, I can comfortably afford to undertake the expenses of both.  Also, on the health front, I've been going easy on the drinking and the smoking.  Yesterday, I only smoked a couple of cigarettes all day long and I didn't drink a drop for several days in a row.  (Granted, one of those days I mostly slept through, but whatever.)

I'm looking forward to an extended visit with an old friend this weekend who I haven't seen since high school. We were friends in first grade, in Girl Scouts together, and, generally, have been bosom buddies for a very long time. She has done really well for herself since I last knew her. She doesn't smoke, drink or do drugs. She is a health nut who goes to the gym regularly and teaches yoga. Also, she is a successful grade school teacher, homeowner, and happy wife. I'm glad to reconnect with her b/c I know she will be a great influence on me and it will be really nice to have such a fine example in my life. However, she is so seemingly flawless that it is sort of intimidating to contemplate spending time with her. I hope that she doesn't find me or my lifestyle disappointing...still, I know she is a kind person and so I don't think she is going to outwardly judge me or anything of that sort. It will simply be good to have a touchstone to who I was and where I came from.

I've also been trying to be more active and engaged with my family. I helped to throw my mom a 50th birthday party in December, which was really satisfying. I've recommitted to helping my little sister with her algebra. I voluntarily called my grandma a couple of days ago just to say hi and I'm looking forward to celebrating her 85th birthday with her this week. I'm realizing, yet again, how important it is to be with my family.

I recognize that this isn't a very exciting or well written blog entry (my apologies).  I'm more in a reading place than a writing place at the moment. I'm currently reading Women Who Run With the Wolves, an epic, which at first struck me as being one of those cheesy, hippy dippy, woman's power books, but it turns out that it has a lot more substance than I first assumed.  I'm enjoying learning about the various mythologies and long standing "ethnic" teachings.  In addition, the book is really well written, so I can't complain about that.

Lastly, I'm trying to fit some professional and mental enrichment into my life.  I want to volunteer at St. Louis Co. public library and also to take a physics class.  I think both will be helpful when I apply to my master's program in library science.  Also, the physics class will aid me in gradually getting back into a structured, academic routine.  I'm really excited about diving into a hardcore science program.  It will probably consist of eight credit hours over the span of two semesters, so I might just end up working toward a physics certificate in something.  I think that will look impressive on my CV and round out my liberal arts and research background. 

I hope all is well with each of you :)

Om shanti <3