Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Happy Making

When I had the utilities activated at my new place in April of last year, I opted into Ameren's P.U.R.E Power program, which essentially consisted of my paying an extra 1.5 cents/kilowatt-hour in order to raise funds for the development of renewable energy.  Although the program has been criticized by the Missouri Public Service Commission (PSC), I'm a satisfied supporter of the initiative--predominantly, because I received an invigorating status update in the mail this month.  I learned the following therein:
  1. my participation helped to support the generation of 1,765 killowatt-hours of local renewable energy;
  2. which resulted in the prevention of 2,780 pds of CO2 from entering the atmosphere; and
  3. that is the environmental equivalent of taking a car off the road for approx. four months.
Keep in mind, those numbers are only with relation to a small one bedroom apartment over the course of eight months.  (Consider what a larger home could generate toward the cost of renewable energy development in a year by participating in this program!)  Ah, being good to our momma earth feels wonderful.  Perhaps, I'm not really doing much for the environment in the grand scheme of things, but I sure am helping my own peace of mind.  I'd venture to guess that the effect of this knowledge is even better than therapy, so far as contentment of spirit is concerned!  

Om shanti _/||\_