Thursday, December 31, 2009

Bye-Bye Gasometers

I was exceptionally dismayed to learn that my beloved gasometers (as that is what they are called--yeah, I didn't know either) had been torn down.  It occurred to me, as I was driving down Interstate 44 on my way to my aunt's home on Christmas Eve, that something dark and looming to my right was missing, but I figured it must have just been my imagination.  Turns out, they truly are gone...



As a child, I remember lying in the back seat of my parent's car and marking our location by seeing those towers upside down, as we sped past. An adult used to tease me by saying that the changing of the height of the storage tanks was evidence that the towers were breathing. I was so young, I think I believed him...in that respect, it really does feel like a death.

R.I.P. - A great, STL, urban decay landmark.  You will be missed.