Friday, November 13, 2009

It isn't enough to demolish the earth...

we intend to pulverize the moon, as well.  If you haven't been kept apprised, in October the US shot a 2,200kg Centaur rocket (about the size of an automobile) into the moon, which was pretty disturbing for me, because (a) who gave the United States permission to blow up the moon?  I'm fairly certain that other countries, even our own citizens, might wish to weigh in on that decision and (b) do we really understand what sort of an impact this will have on our own fragile ecosystem, one that is effected by the moon right down to our oceans' tides?  In addition, there is the symbolic trouble of decimating the moon--what with it representing feminine energy and all; kinda looks bad when the US wants to annihilate woman, but I digress...

Well, turns out that the moon contains "copious quantities of water vapour."  No shit.  If we can set aside for a moment my outrage regarding our hubris in taking such an action, I will readily concede that the results of NASA's experiment are downright incredible and certainly nifty-difty indeed!  I can hardly conceive of the possibility of such a thing.  I was taught that the moon couldn't contain water b/c there was no atmosphere to prevent the water from absconding off into deep space.  Clearly, I was misinformed.  According to what I've read today, it has long been theorized that water could have been stored under the cooler parts of the moon's surface and. we. found. some.  Not just some, but tons of it.  I'm gonna need a minute to process this...

Got it.  Okay, back to my outrage.  Listen to this--
Peter Schultz, from Brown University and a co-investigator on the LCROSS mission, said: "What's really exciting is we've only hit one spot. It's kind of like when you're drilling for oil. Once you find it in one place, there's a greater chance you'll find more nearby." - as reported by the BBC

I hate to be the voice of reason, here, but HAVE WE LEARNED NOTHING FROM OUR PAST?!  Uh, didn't drilling for oil cause us a bunch of fucking environmental issues here on earth?  Isn't it one of the main reasons that our planet's climate is being thrown into what may be a irreversible tailspin?  

Evidently, we need to fuck up everything we get our slimy little intelligent fingers on.  What's next?  Mars?  The sun?  Our whole damned solar system?!

We disgust me.  Really we do.