Friday, October 9, 2009

Suprise Night Off

I was late getting out of the office this evening b/c I had promised myself this morning that I absolutely would get my last set of pending discovery responses finalized by the end of the work day today, which ended up extending my work day (unpaid--I know, I'm an idiot) by an extra 45 minutes.  By the time I had finished dinner and had driven over to Wild Bird Rehab, I was 45 minutes late for my shift there, too.

When I walked in, mentally kicking myself for my tardiness, Vickie hollered at me from the Pox Room (where we keep the birds w/ communicable illnesses) that I wasn't on shift for tonight, which would have been valuable information, had she told me this an hour prior when I informed her that I would be late.  So, after futzing around and chit-chatting for a minute or two, I decided to just go home.

All week long, for some reason, I've had a mild (awake until 2 or 3 am) case of insomnia.  For this reason, I jumped at the chance to get out of WBR early (please don't hate me Andea!) and get some much needed rest.  Plus, my yoga instructor, Sherry, promised me that, if I actually showed up for class tomorrow morning (which I haven't been doing recently b/c I've been so exhausted from my work weeks), we would do Kapalabhati breathwork in class--my favorite pranayama practice at this time of year.  [If you aren't familiar w/ this technique, a link follows this post.] Kapalabhati is particularly pleasing in the fall and winter b/c it generates so much body heat. I'm really looking forward to it :)

So, what will I do with my time off tonight?  I'm thinking I will catch up on all of the activity that has been happening on the MOBIRDS listserv and maybe finish up a book that I've been trying to get through for the longest time.  I'm not sure what is up with me recently, but I seem to be starting books and never finishing them.  Speaking of books and the listserv, a couple of people from MOBIRDS have mentioned a new book called Crow Planet:  Essential Wisdom from the Urban Wilderness and I am really looking forward to reading it.  Maybe I'll also mosey on over to the STL Public Library's webpage to see if it is available there, yet. 

I hope you all enjoy your night and try to stay out of trouble, okay?

Om shanti <3


http://www.sivananda.org/teachings/pranayama/kapalabhati.htm

ADDENDUM:  Regarding Crow Planet: one, the company where my best friend works as an editor published the book (how cool is that!?) and, two, you can read some of it online!  I'm reading it right now :)  You can join me:


Whoo-hoo!