Friday, October 2, 2009

Putting the Damage On

When I arrived at my office this morning, an e-mail from our accountant was awaiting me. Her message advised that, due to Columbus Day (WTF? Columbus Day!?--can't wait to celebrate that imperialist pillager of people and lands), our payroll checks would be delayed by a day. Okay, fine. I don't like it--I have bills to pay--but that's cool (no really, it isn't).

Shortly thereafter, one of the partners approaches me with an unsettling and somber look on his face. He gravely states that he and the other partners have been working on it for weeks, but it looks like they won't be able to circumvent higher health insurance premiums for the firm. Although, in the thirty-five years that they have been partners, they have never passed on any additional health care costs to their staff, it will have to happen this time. He indicated that, for me, they formally paid $299/mo in premiums. Now, our insurance carrier has raised the cost of our benefits by 25%, an increase which will be passed onto the beneficiaries. I will now be losing approx. $35 out of each paycheck for this cost.

Now, I know some of you out there are thinking, "Gee, I've always had to share in the cost of my health insurance premiums--what's she complaining about?" or maybe worse, "Shit, I don't even have health insurance, you lucky fool." I readily admit that those people have a point. I am certainly grateful for all eight years that the partners suffered the entire cost of my premium. Despite this realization, it still hurts in my purse.

Agh, my pocketbook is aching. Needless to say, this isn't exactly a good time for me to take on any additional expenditures. I’ve already assumed a new car payment this year, am living alone, and owe so much money in student loans that I can barely breathe comfortably when I stop to consider that debt, but I will tighten my belt another notch and button down the hatches. Luckily, I can live on nearly nothing. Growing up poor taught me that much. Apparently, it is time to utilize my piss broke livin' skills.

Help me, Obama Kenobi. You're my only hope...

Om shanti.