Tuesday, October 20, 2009

'For Five Days, I Did Not Sleep'

Guinea Shaken By Wave Of Rapes During Crackdown
by Ofeibea Quist-Arcton

"I have never seen such violence in my life. I swear that this is the first time in Guinea that we have witnessed women's bodies being treated as if they were battlefields. It goes against our culture and traditions. I'm horrified. We're all horrified."
- A doctor who treated women raped during a crackdown on pro-democracy protesters in Guinea


What I can not wrap my mind around about the reporting of this story is how commenters keep emphasizing that this "crackdown" occurred in broad daylight.  As if rape is the sort of crime that can only properly occur at night.  It is a truly twisted culture that (perhaps unconsciously, perhaps not) implies that rapists should rightfully keep their heinous acts hidden.

Please sign Azaaz.org's petition requesting an application of targeted sanctions on the ruling elite of Guinea by the African and European Unions at the following link--
Stop the crackdown petition


Om shanti and hope.